Hi Eric,

The rudder won't fall out of the quadrant is attached. That said, I would block between the quadrant and top of rudder log (boat part) or use one of these
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/34312?r=~|categoryl1:%22603582%20Power%20Transmission%209and%20Motors%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22608501%20Collars,%20Couplings%209and%20Components%22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22603515%20Shaft%20Collars%22|~%20~|sattr01:^%222-Piece%20Clamping%20Collar%22$|~
two piece collars clamped to the stock under the quadrant to keep things in place. Then you can take apart the upper works and fix things, in the water, whenever you have a mind to.

The 35-1 uses one of these collars at the top of the shaft log instead of the fancy arrangement that you have.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1