The large wire, orange or otherwise, that connects the alternator output post
to the post on the solenoid where the battery is connected should be
disconnected from the alternator. It can be removed completely. Then connect
the alternator output to the house bank. Since the wire run will likely be
longer to the battery than it was to the starter, I recommend using heavier
wire to reduce voltage drop. I suggest using 6 AWG wire. Make sure you are
using good crimping tools and that the wire is physically tied off to the
engine near the alternator so that the terminal is not exposed to vibration.

The other wire on the solenoid battery terminal or possibly on the alternator
output terminal will be the wire to the instrument cluster that enables engine
start and the gauges. Ideally that should be fed from the engine start battery
which will be tied to the solenoid.

Rich Knowles
Nanaimo, BC
INDIGO LF38