I've been trying to chase down a small but persistent oil leak for the last
two years, so we took the engine out of Mojito this winter.  There are pin
holes in the oil lines, a couple of leaks from fuel lines  and the crank
shaft is pitted at the rear main seal.  A replacement will get me back in
the water much faster than rebuilding the existing engine; I'd appreciate
your thoughts on options.

"remanufactured" engine - there's a 3GM30F for sales on
dieselenginetrader.com for $4,850 plus core.  This should be a straight
drop in for my current 3GMF; my transmission was rebuilt two years ago, so
I'd keep that and hope for a discount.

Replacement new Yanmar - the 3YM30F is $10,700 or so and should be a quick
replacement job (but the oil filter placement will be pretty inaccessible
next to the quarterberth.  Re-use current transmission.

Replacement Beta - either the 20 ($7,968 new / $5,998 1-year old used) or
25 (price to come).  This would mean some work on the engine beds (raising
them, so not too bad) and I probably couldn't use the current transmission.

This is not what I'd planned to be doing this time of year - I would like
to get sailing soon!

Thanks,

Tim
Mojito