Hi Bill,

I with you on encouraging anybody to do a good varnish job. Then everyone can enjoy the best finish possible.

However, the last couple of times the missus & I have done Cetol, due to laziness which we convince ourselves as being too busy, and the results are entirely acceptable. Someday we will return to varnish. But this is not the day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either... maybe next year. :)

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1

P.S. my varnish routine from freshly wooded is:
- turps wipe
- 2 coats of 50/50 varnish in one day
- light sand & turps wipe followed by varnish with a wee bit of Penetrol (for smooth brushing)
- repeat each day until at least 5 coats
- maintenance EVERY spring & fall is a minimum two coats (the second coat in the fall can be done same day if weather is brilliant)
- take varnish gear cruising with good intention but do nothing with it :)