Curtis;

Basically, it is always easier to balance the boat with both main and
headsail up. The 110 would probably have been about the right headsail for
the conditions you describe.

Boats of the generation we have – with large fore triangles, masthead rigs,
and sometimes 170% genoas – were  designed to be powered by the headsail
more than more current designs. I usually just use my headsail on those
occasions when I chose to put up only one for some reason or other.

As far as when to reef the main, I can’t really give a firm answer. It
depends on conditions and how the boat is performing. If you are fighting
the helm, if the boat wants to round up and can’t be balanced, if the rail
is in the water, or if the Admiral is giving you dirty looks, it is probably
past time to reef. Hull speed on your boat is probably in the neighborhood
of 6 ½ knots. All the sail area in the world won’t make the boat go
significantly faster. All the excess sail area does is put the rail in the
water and make you work harder than needed.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1

Washington, NC