Just to follow up on this for future reference, it turned out the hatch
foam I got from McMaster Carr (#6322K13) was in fact correct (or at least
close enough and seems to be working well).

Since I thought it was too squishy I ended up doing a second order and
getting EPDM o-ring cord stock (#9616K17), at the recommendation of a
McMaster Carr customer support person. Installed that and found out it was
way too firm - the hatch wouldn't close because the metal edges actually
need to insert into the foam-filled track. Doh!  Had to rip that out and
clean out the glue, then installed the original santoprene foam order.
Seems to be working well. In this process I also discovered one hatch latch
is broken - 316 SS bolt completely corroded away / disintegrated. So added
a project to the list in the process of fixing one - that seems to be a way
of life with boats. : )

>>> http://svviolethour.com/?attachment_id=179