I don't have a Dutchman, but I do have the dog-bones.  You don't have to
run to the sail maker to try them out either.  2 stainless rings large
enough that they won't pass through the reefing/tack ring can be tied on
either side and connected through the reefing/tack ring with some old
halyard or similar.  I like using a double overhand knot at each ring for
this arrangement.  You'll have to play with the length but each reef dog
bone has to be at least the height of the track slides when reefed.  I like
mine a smig longer.  I like to hook the port dog bone ring and then attach
the cunningham on the stbd ring.  I can take out any "slack" in the dog
bone with the cunningham, then crank the halyard.  You may need to ease the
cunningham AS you hoist the halyard and then harden up the cunningham as a
final step.

After playing with this for a while and finding the right length a sail
maker can make you the "proper" done bones during the winter season.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

Our boat came with a Dutchman flaking system that the FO said never
worked.  I’ve rigged it and added a mast gate to keep the luff slides in
the luff track.  So far, this looks promising.

The main issue that I’m having is reefing the main.  It does not seem that
the system will work with the reef hooks.  The sail flakes over the hooks
and the luff slides twist.  The Dutchman literature recommends using
forward reef lines.  They suggest installing pad eyes and cleats in the
mast for the lines.

First, any feedback from those of you who have Dutchman’s?  If so, how do
you handle reefing?

Regards,

*Ron*

Ronald V. Ricci