I have an 88 30MKII

Long story short... I survey two 30MKII during my trek to find my boat.

The first had a very stiff steering issue, the brokers yard fixed it before
I had it surveyed.  The would not tell me what was wrong or what they did
to fix it.  In the end, the boat surveyed poorly and the owner would not
negotiate.

The second boat had the same issue, but the price was right and the boat
surveyed well.  I purchased the boat and addressed the stiff steering issue
myself.

AFTER disassembling most of the steering and pedestal bits and lubricating
the heck out of the lower bearing all to no avail...

I removed the through bolts that hold the collar on emergency steering
thingamabob.  This got me to the white plasiticish bearing doohicky.

I slid the bearing off, sanded it with fine emery cloth, gave it a bath in
lots of white synthetic grease safe for plastic bits and put it all back
together.  Three seasons later both the steering and myself are still
smooth as silk.

Rob
88 MKII
HANUMAN