I also have a 260 or so pieces socket set on board that I bought for a
screaming deal at Lowes' fathers day sale a couple years ago .

Being on a lake, I don't do extended cruising or anything offshore. In
fact more than 50% of my boat's use is drag racing around the cans in club
races where extra weight is supposed to hurt me... So why do I have it
onboard?  My house and regular toolset is 30 miles away from the boat so
to get a missing / forgotten tool I either have to (re)buy the tools
somewhere near the boat one at a time for a huge premium or drive 60 miles
round trip to get them from home.  As for borrowing stuff: for whatever
reason no one on my dock seems to have what I need when I need it.

What goes into 260 pieces?  Metric set short and deep socket / SAE set
short and deep socket.  On a 25 year old Canadian made / American operated
boat that has a random mix of SAE and Metric stuff, I have used a
surprisingly high percentage of all of the above.  The benefits of having
both short and deep sockets on my boats' impossible to reach stuff speaks
for itself.

That is definitely the some of the best couple hundred bucks I have spent
on this boat.

-Francois Rivard

1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA.