I hope the 5200 holds up too.  I tried Sikaflex 295 UV and that lasted
about 1 year...problem with these Beckson windows is that the frame is a
thermal plastic (it melts) and I believe it is polyethylene and such
thermal plastics don't have any surface active molecular functional groups
to promote chemical bonding as opposed to gelcoat which is a cross linked
polyester  that does contain some surface active molecular functional
groups that do facilitate chemical bonding so with the Beckson portlights
the Sikaflex failures seemed to involve loss of adhesion at the substrate
surface, using primer or not as opposed to at the plexiglass surface.
That's why I decided to try a known strong adhesive/sealant like 3M 5200.
I cleaned the mating surfaces of both the frams and the plexiglass very
well, first mechanically using a sharp scraper, followed by sanding with 60
grit (thermal plastics don't sand well) and then a solvent wash with xylene
followed by a solvent wash acetone to remove any surface chemicals and
moisture...I used only 60 grit to mechanically clean the plexi followed by
solvent wash with xylene; acetone attacks plexi quite rapidly so I did not
use it on the plexi...the apllied excess bead of 5200 bead all around the
frame and pressed in the plexiglass...went back and pressed again after 24
hours and then again after 1 week...instructions on slow cure 5200 indicate
that full cure can take upwards of 2 weeks so I felt that multiple
pressings during cure might yield a better gasket type seal...I know it's a
wait and see repair, maybe I'll be doing it all again but 1/4 inch plexi is
not expensive so I'll use new plexi if crazing becomes unbearable and I
believe that I will be able to clean the frames of residual 5200 with a
sharp scraper as I did last two times.

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS