I have one of these things: <http://www.wbryant.com/temp/gaff.jpg> It's actually a gaff for spear fishing, designed to be clipped to your weight belt or BCD. When fishing under way, it's great because you can slip the gaff through the gills and the fish is secure while you remove the hook while still leaning over the stern. You can also just let it go, and drag the fish behind the boat while dealing with sails or other important things. As a single hander, I am used to being busy with the boat when suddenly a monster Dorado hits.

Also, I'll just pull the fish up to the stern and slash the gills with a knife, then let the fish bleed out while dragging behind the boat. It minimizes bloody mess in the cockpit.

Wal

you wrote:
The gaff or winch handle is dangerous and messy on board.