I had a fitting on my tank plastic welded, it's good as new.
Since you're taking the tank out anyway it's a good time to clean it ..
filled mine with water and bleach and let it stand that way overnight then
rinsed and repeated. My tank was really smelly, the PO left it with
plumbing anti-freeze inside for a few years :/
After that I let it sit full of baking soda and crumpled newspapers over
the winter and the smell is gone.

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto