Fees for initial documentation and for changes also went up at the same time
that the new renewal fee became effective. IIRC it was part of some budget bill
that made user fees dependent on the clerical costs involved in the process, or
some such. There is an explanation on the USCG Vessel Documentation website.

And the USCG has also asked for comments about a proposed rule change to allow
for multi-year documentation. The comment period may be over, but you might
still get a chance to endorse the idea, Joe. I know I sent in a comment.

I agree, it’s not the $, it’s the PITA paperwork.

And as far as dollars go – you could be in North Carolina, where the
legislature is proposing a “Coastal Boating Fee” for boats over 24 ft. and all
fishing boats that will be $195 PER YEAR (in addition to the current $55 per
year registration fee) for my 38. The money is purportedly to be used for
dredging the inlets and ICW…. But I noticed a $6 million dollar earmark for
buying right of way for the proposed new bridge over Oregon Inlet.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC