Thanks to  those who had suggestions regarding a slipping self tailing winch. I
found a schematic for the winch, removed the tailing arm, found that the spring
loaded screws could be tightened , which I did and then went for a sail. The
wind died before getting a chance to see if there was an improvement, but it
gave me the idea that perhaps the springs are tired too and possibly replacing
them might be beneficial. Now the question is who might stock them. I seem to
remember that there is an outfit in Australia. Will have to do a web search,
unless anybody has a better idea. My drums look suitably rough and usually very
few wraps are all that is required. It was the self tailer that let go.
Harold
Celtic Spirit
Hamilton, ON