It is nice to hear about LF38 update  of others.  Congratulations.

 I am glad to hear of someone using a SPX-5 autopilot on a Landfall 38.    I
installed a SPX-5 on a C&C 29-1 and after 2.5 years it started having problems.
  I removed it, send to Raymarine for out of warrantee repair, then sold my C&C
29.   Raymarine replaced components in the course computer and upgraded the
firmware at no charge.  Kudos to them for great service!   At the time I was
deciding between a B&G or Raymarine chart plotter for the Landfall 38.  I
happily purchased a Raymarine e7D, Raymarine fish finder depth transducer, and
a Raymarine combination speed/temp/log transducer.    I installed the SPX-5
wheel autopilot on the Landfall 38 and I feel it works just as well as it did
on the 29 (maybe even better since the 29 was so tender).     Installing a
Raymarine Radar is a future plan.

-
Paul Eugenio
1981 C&C 38 Landfall