Hi David,
Just noticed your note. When I re-stepped the mast this spring I read two
different articles on tuning. The first recommended tuning without the mast
blocks installed and I tried that but could never get the rake correct, so
after reading Cutter's article, I loosened all the shrouds, and the
backstay turnbuckles and put the blocks in, having to use a wedge to get
the aft block in. I have a new headstay and furler so had to do some
adjusting with the turnbuckle to get the right length and rake. I have the
rake about right but don't have a precise measurement because the mainsail
is still flaked on the boom, but it's a lot closer (less) than before.
Then I tightened the backstay turnbuckles, with the adjuster off, and  then
re-adjusted the headstay and backstay turnbuckles alternately get the
proper rake with what seems to be about the right headstay tension,
according to Cutter's article. I still need to do more work on the shroud
tension -- the mast head is centered via the uppers, and the sail track
straight, but the last time I went sailing there seemed to be too much
slack in the leeward shrouds in 12-14 kts. of breeze. I'll let you know how
the rest of the tuning goes.
Monty