Raw water pumps are all basically the same. I think it can be done on your
level, take your time and use your phones camera to document each step. When
taking it apart lay the parts out in order of disassembly. Reassemble inreverse
order. The parts break down is usually a good indication of how it all goes
together. Just make sure that the seals go together with the springs away from
each other. One seals out water the other oil. Clean the shaft with very fine
sandpaper (400+ grit or red scotch bright)and lube the shaft with a light
coating of grease during assembly.  Small smooth groves are not critical. But
there should be no sharp edges. The seals should be interchangeable. Check
youtube for a video. They have them for everything. Sorry for jumping all over
I am typing this on my phone. Good luck.
    Doug MountjoysvPegasusLF38 just west of Ballard, WA.

------ Original message------From: Charlie Nelson via CnC-List Date: Thu, Aug
13, 2015 11:12To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com;Cc: cenel...@aol.com;Subject:Stus-List
Water pump seal replacement
My Beta 28 HP diesel, circa 2001, has developed a sea water leak on the engine
side/aft 'end' of the Jabasco (I think) pump which is driven directly by the
engine,not by a belt. This engine has a primary coolant which is cooled by this
water pump circulating sea water thru a heat exchanger. BTW, the front/forward
side of the pump, whichhas a speed seal plate on it and from which the impeller
can be changed, is not leaking at all. According to Beta NC (located
fortunately about 15 minutes from my boat!), I need to replace the shaft
seal(s?), assuming the shaft is not scored, etc. My interpretation of the
exploded parts diagram is that the pump, once disconnected from the inlet and
outlet hoses and block(?), should slide off the shaft,exposing the seals for
removal and replacement. Murphy being a sailor, however, I have visions of the
entire shaft either coming out or not being able to remove the pump without a
wheel puller, etc.  Although they claim it can be done without a diesel
mechanic or yard involved, I am a little reluctant to do it since if I can't
get it back together,I might not even be able to move the boat to the yard
(about 1/4 mile away) since I might not have any secondary water cooling. Has
anyone on the list done this for a Beta engine and if so, was it a reasonable
job for what I like to call 'operator maintenance'or should it be attempted
only by someone at the 'shop level' maintenance? I have looked on-line and none
of the discussions are about doing this for a Beta--lots of stuff on Perkins,
M-4, etc. Thanks, Charlie NelsonWater PhantomC&C 36 XL/kcb      cenel...@aol.com