> I’m not sure even the best mainsail tracks truly allow you to drop sail on a
> broad reach in 25 kts anyway.
> I've never heard of anyone reefing on a downwind run.

Fully recognizing the high cost of adding a Harken Batt car system, if one is
expecting to reef in all conditions including downwind it is a great
investment.  There are similar products at a lower price point and less
invasive installation available.

On Calypso with the Harken Batt car system and full battens I use most of the
same reefing techniques described in earlier responses.  My sail handling
experience might be more in depth than some but I am able to put in the first
reef in under 2 minutes, singlehanded.  Calypso still has a wire reel main
halyard winch which may actually simplify the process.  At the mast I have the
main halyard, dog bone to the tack horn, and the reef line all close by.  I do
ease the vang and main sheet quite a bit to avoid pulling against a bigger
winch.  I do not use the jack stays as the full battens keep the sail
organized.  It may make some noise but the sail flogging helps reduce friction.

When reefing downwind, which I do both racing and cruising, the Batt cars
substantially reduce friction from the mainsail luff but there is still
friction and or interference from the sail/battens contacting the mast and
spreaders.  If the apparent wind speed is over 30 I have winched the boom in
some to pull the lower sections off the rig.  I do watch for stress on the sail
as I pull it down.

When helping a friend deliver his 56 foot fast cruiser to San Francisco from
Seattle we spent 2 days in 30 to 45 downwind with seas to match.  All 4 on
board had offshore and racing experience and had sailed many miles together.
We were standing 2 crew watches of 4 hours at night, 6 hours during the day.
We had the #3 poled out and would roll it up or out based on the wind speed.
For most of the time we had 1 reef in the main, adding the 2nd reef when
needed.  The boat had the Antal mast slide system which is different than the
Harken but just as effective.  The boat also had a powered mainsail halyard
winch.  We reefed or un-reefed downwind at will without waking the off watch.
BTW, we averaged over 14 knots for 30 hours and I had the high speed at 24
knots. (45 knot gust + 30 foot seas = tighten sphincter + concerned owner.)

Regarding heaving to: I have been able to get Calypso to heave to for a calmer
deck when single-handing and needing to put in the second reef in gusts to 35.
I had one reef in and the #3 partially rolled up.  It took a little while to
find just the right combo of sail, sheet, and rudder to get the boat settled.
It was worth the effort as I had tucked in behind Bainbridge Island not far
from Port Madison to get out of the worst of the seas.  As I was single-handing
I was being very cautious when going forward and wanted the boat as stable as
possible.

Regardless of which changes / improvements to reefing you select I do recommend
practicing in moderate conditions.  If you plan to sail at night practice when
it is dark and moderate until your hands know where each line is without
needing a flashlight.  From my days as a foredeck guy on big IOR boats I
strongly recommend always putting each line in the same place, the same way.
Make your crew do the same thing.  Once a really good case of ARSS* sets in, in
the dark you will be able to reef with confidence as each line is in its place
and easily found.

(ARSS = Anal Retentive Sailors Syndrome.  I have a team working on developing a
purple pill to help this common but under treated condition.)

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle