A couple of random thoughts

Yes, the boat is creeping forward while hove to.
No need to belittle 6-8' seas with short interval - nasty enough.  Short
interval is far worse than much larger seas with room to spread out
Sea directly behind you  - much more than the 6' you saw and you'd have learned
a painful (and wet) lesson to takes waves on the quarters.
MOB - it you're the victim don't get your hopes up.  Concentrate on keeping
everyone aboard

Again, just random thoughts

John

Sent from my iPad