The heat of welding will change the physical properties of stainless, so he
may (probably did) use stainless rod but it's now less stainless. You could
try repassivating it with a product called "Wichinox".
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303285|2303294&id=1819274

Davis FSR will remove the rust stains. If you want to use just the active
ingredient, it's oxalic acid. You can buy it as Wood Bleach at hardware
stores.
I'm not sure muriatic acid would be appropriate here.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC