As I wrote some time back:

One very good source of problems in many of the older boats is the one or more
multi-pole connectors in the engine wiring harness. They have often been there
for twenty or more years without being touched and corrosion build up due to
lack of current flow across the individual connectors can lead to excessive
resistance in the various circuits, false alarms and poor starting.

I suggest as a first approach to trouble shooting any engine related starting
or alarm problems, finding the connector(s), often there are more than one,
pulling them apart and reconnecting them several times to clean corrosion off
the contacts and then testing to see if the problem is resolved. I am an
advocate of removing the connectors completely and replacing them by cutting
each conductor back to good, corrosion free wire and rejoining them using
appropriately sized and crimped heat shrink butt connectors. This will
generally solve the immediate problem and also help reduce further corrosion
related problems.

In older boats where un-tinned wire is frequently found and extensive corrosion
of individual conductors occurs, replacement of the entire length of wire with
good quality marine grade tinned  wire will help ensure trouble free operation.

Rich Knowles
Nanaimo, BC
INDIGO LF38
Boatless!

On Aug 17, 2015, at 10:08, Michael Brown via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Now- what to do about the future- I am considering putting some
> electrically conductive grease on the contacts before reassembling the
> connector.

 The normal substance to use would be a dielectric grease, not a conductive
grease,
though at the 12 volt range that property does not come in to play much.

Some interesting reading on the topic:

http://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

Note that even the best grease, correctly applied at the contact point, will
not solve the problem of the wires just back of the connection corroding.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1