Strobes are illegal technically even in emergencies. See the COLREGS (Rules 20,
21, & 36  - Rule 36 Signals to Attract Attention If necessary to attract the
attention of another vessel, any vessel may make light or sound signals that
cannot be mistaken for any signal authorized elsewhere in these Rules, or may
direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a
way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light to attract the attention of
another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to
navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent
or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.

Sent from my iPhone