From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Frederick G
Street via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:48 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Frederick G Street
Subject: Re: Stus-List i50/i60 question for Fred

Mike - have you run the "Intermediate Calibration" routine detailed on page 34
of the manual?  This allows you to do two speed runs, and set up a calibration
factor that is applied to the calculated speed.  If you're showing a little
fast at four knots, and faster at six knots, this may help get things down
where they belong.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

On Aug 25, 2015, at 12:28 PM, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List

I have new i50 speed and depth and i60 wind installed Mid July 2014.  Boat is a
Frers designed Carrol Marine built Frers 33.  Phrf here is 114.

Typically in the Fall the ST60 speedo we had on our last boat would be reading
slow and I would have to calibrate faster.  At Spring launch would be reading
fast and I would calibrate slower.  This was always because of growth and slime.

This Spring the i50 speed read optimistically high.  I left it that way for a
while since it feels pretty good to see higher numbers even if you know they
are not correct.  Eventually I calibrated ½ knot slower based on comparisons
with Chartplotter GPS speed in neutral tide situations.  Since that time I have
noted that once again it is reading higher than GPS and now the boat is in
fresher water (Bras d'Ors Lakes) by about 3/10 to 4/10 of a knot.  I notice
that it is further off at speeds 6 knots and above and somewhat close to GPS at
4 knots.  This is not usually too much of a problem since the speedo is for
relative speed anyway but surprises me that it is close at 4 knots but off by a
larger amount over 6.  The bigger issue is that the TWS on the wind instrument
would also be affected as would my perception of currents

Any comments on this?  Are there varying methods of calibrations?

It does seem nice to be making 6.7 knots to windward but a quick look on my
chartplotter brings me back to reality ...  typically we are 6.2 or so when the
boat is going well upwind.

Mike

Persistence
1987 Frers 33
Currently sitting in Dundee on the Bras d'Ors Lakes