I would like to know how the pointy heads came up with a "best before date" of 4 years for these things. It's not milk for crying out loud!

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1

At 06:05 AM 27/08/2015, you wrote:
I have to make a disclaimer first: I don’t sail any longer in the area or conditions that would give me a personal experience or exposure to such conditions, but...

If you read e.g. the “Surviving the Storm” by Steve and Linda Dashew you can find there some interesting observations on how to be seen. They claim, based on comments form Coast Guard fliers that most of the lights onboard can be visible (in heavy conditions – overcast, rain etc.) from only about 100 –150 m above the surface. If you fly higher (and you normally do), you want something that is visible higher. This probably means some parachute flares and orange smoke flares (for daylight).

One may buy the strobe light as a way to pass the Coast Guard inspection, but one may want to keep some flares in case of a real emergency. Maybe this is a suspenders and a belt approach, but you want to really easily visible if you are in distress.

just a thought...

Marek

From: <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>Indigo via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:04 AM
To: <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: <mailto:ind...@thethomsons.us>Indigo
Subject: Re: Stus-List SOS light flare replacement

I just checked this out with a friend who is intimately familiar with uscg regs. (He runs Safe Boating course in CT). This is what he told me. "I have not seen it myself but I would not be surprised if it was acceptable
because it is really just an approved SOS night signal.  The orange flag
acts as the day signal.
See below link indicating that the SOS light is an approved night signal.
The new twist is the LED light.
<http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/vds.asp>http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/vds.asp

Personally I would not want to rely on an orange flag during the day to attract help so would be buying orange smoke flares - so might as well buy the flares approved for day and night !!

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III