I measured mine as well as I could while they were on the boat....the downhaul line is 28 feet long. The topping lift is (and I am assuming yours exits the mast roughly two feet above the spreaders) about 70 feet.

Good luck.

Gary Nylander
#593 (also 1980)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Janko Puls via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Janko Puls" <janko.p...@web.de>
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2015 7:04 PM
Subject: Stus-List Intro / line lenghts for 30 MKI spinnaker

Ahoy everyone,

I would like to get the spinnaker on our 30 MKI back to work - I always had it somehow gerryrigged, and since I often singlehand or doublehand the boat, I consider getting a snuffer so that I could use the spi with short crew as well. BUT: Our uphaul and downhaul lines went AWOL, and I'd like to replace them. Would you have any indication what lenghts of line I need to run it back to the cockpit?

I also am curious to see if here are other C&C 30 sailors around New York or in the Western Long Island Sound to catch up with and exchange ideas or just meet up with once in a while.

And since I am new to the list, I would like to introduce our boat and me. A friend and I are sailing "Messing About", a 1980 C&C 30 MKI, out of Larchmnont, NY. I take care of the boat for about seven years, when she was Kelly green and named Mistral IV, but our captain decided at 95 yo that slowly it might be enough, so he passed the helm on to us "chicks". So it's time for some smaller updates. I love the stiffness and quick reaction of this boat. The boat is in good condition, I'd say, she has a rebuilt 2QM15 since this season, a new mast step, complete new rudder and steering system, new head, a few but updated electronics, and seems overall pretty healthy. No blisters, no nothing, let alone some small cracks in the gelcoat on deck, but it wouldn't be a boat if there weren't some projects to do, right? I lerned: 10 boat projects minus 1 boat project equals 11 boat projects.

So this spring I did a roll and tip-job on the topsides, and leaving the quite recognizable kelly green behind us, her new colors are seattle grey with seagrass green as contrary color. (Here are some pics: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:836084/imo:0/mmsi:913030382/vessel:MESSING%20ABOUT)

We have a range of sails:
- 143% genny, UK, good for the summer doldrums on the LIS
- 100% battened jib - a real nice sail in any weather
- a veritable mylar decksweeper which we hardly ever use, since we don't race her at this time (she was once a regular winner up in Westport, CT, formerly known as as "Irish Wake")
- mainsail, heavy quality, fully battened
- mainsail, lighter built for racing (North Sails), half battened - to wich we just added three reefing points.

I hope to see you out on the water!

cheers
Janko Puls

--
Point of View New York City: A Game of The City You THINK You Know
A photo book by Janko Puls.

+++ Photos, reviews and more at www.pointofviewnyc.com or www.facebook.com/pointofviewnyc +++