From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of S Thomas via
CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:00 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: S Thomas
Subject: Re: Stus-List GFCI Outlet

Most inverters sold now (I know, not all) are isolated from the ground, and
should NOT have one side grounded, but the new GFCIs are not dependent on the
existence of an earth ground. It is legal to install 3 pronged GFCI receptacles
in older houses without separate ground wires where I live, because the GFCI
works by detecting any difference in the current flowing in the 2 wires. There
is no separate earth ground available in that situation.

The GFCI circuits might also be affected by the harmonic content of the "quasi"
sinewave inverters, but I have not tried it. The waveform from these inverters
is a rectangle, tuned to minimise the third harmonic. Not all loads like that
sort of power, but everything I have tried so far seems to work ok.

Steve Thomas