From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com]On Behalf Of Dave Syer via
CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 12:01 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Dave Syer
Subject: Stus-List C&C 33 mkii mast step revisited

Hi All,

So I checked the various posts and photos available, and chatted with one
lister, but I have yet to see a really clear description of outright failure of
the mast step area, other than repeat references to the 33ii collapsing mast
step syndrome, and the assertion that the construction is inadequate.  So, I
took my (unfailed) boat apart, 'cuz, well, that's what I do...

The mast sits in a rectangular cast-alloy base, that is longer and wider than
the mast itself.  This allows mostly for shimming fore and aft to adjust mast
rake.
The alloy base sits on the 'glass liner, which sits on a piece of 3/4"plywood,
which sits on a pile of putty,(bog) which sits on a built up section of glass
where one of the keel bolts penetrates and on a fabricated fiberglass
cross-member spans the bilge, athwartships. This cross-member (aka "floor
timber") is a hollow fiberglass beam which is semi-elliptical in section.
(like an inverted trough.)  It is part of the "spider" or whatever they called
it, which stiffens the hull.

The mast is still stepped, so I can't yet go further, but for now I can see
three areas of potential failure:

1: The wood can deteriorate allowing the mast to settle by its thickness,
2: the putty could fracture crumble, move, fail, - ditto,
3: worst of all, the cross-member could conceivably collapse, allowing the mast
to settle by some portion of its height.  This would not be good....

If my mast step has settled, it's not by much.   To me, the wood and putty part
is kind of cheesy,  and I'll re-do that anyway because it bugs me and I think
wood in a wet place is bad news.   The crossmember looks really strong, and
while I have this apart I could get clever and reinforce it, but it may be
totally unnecessary.

Has anyone actually observed the mode of this particular failure?  Can anyone
confirm that this crossmember has been a failure point in normal use and has
contributed to this purported flaw in the boat?

Thanks!  Dave

BTW, I will document and post this work for the benefit of future generations.