On my (small in comparison) C&C 27 with wheel steering, cockpit is obviously smaller and space is at a premium. Here's a few comments on what I was planning that might help generate some further discussion and/or ideas.

- I've got a Raymarine autopilot but have yet to install it (the binnacle right now is torn apart doing some repairs and a bit of a refurb). - I have a 3-instrument Navpod to go on the pedestal guard, but would have to raise the height of the guard to mount it. - I also have a Standard Horizon chartplotter that's getting mounted there on a small shelf clamped to the guard. - Even if I don't put the Navpod on the guard, ideally raising the height of the guard will allow me to swivel the chartplotter to see it from forward of the helm and get the top bent portion high enough to provide a handhold and help to avoid someone from grabbing the chartplotter by mistake to steady themselves. - If I don't put the Navpod on the binnacle guard, then I was thinking of mounting it over the companionway hatch under the dodger on a custom bracket (it would just fit I think). Regardless I'd like to get the instruments off of the bulkhead next to the companionway as they are often obstructed by someone sitting there.

Given all of the above I had always considered that the autopilot control head would be mounted on the port cockpit coaming so that it can be operated from both behind and forward of the helm. I had considered a Navpod on the binnacle that could swivel, but the are just too large to accommodate.

Peter Fell
Sidney, BC
Cygnet
C&C 27 MkIII