Ed,
       What you say is true from the perspective of having effective galvanic
isolation, but there are a couple of design issues that come to mind. In order
for galvanic isolation to work, all wiring grounds to the boat must be
interrupted by a galvanic isolator. This means that if there are two shore
power receptacles then both of them would have to have their wiring grounds
taken to the isolator and then out again to the distribution panel(s). From an
engineering perspective, a wiring ground only needs to have enough capacity to
reliably trip a circuit breaker without catching on fire, but most electrical
codes require that they have the same capacity as the main conductors. In other
words, if you care about regulations and some people on this list have
indicated that they do, then the galvanic isolator would most likely have to
have at least the current capacity of the sum of both shore power receptacles.
    According to the instructions that came with a galvanic isolator that a
friend of mine bought last year, a galvanic isolator requires an (optional and
at an additional cost for that particular product) indicator light to be ABYC
compliant. I was shocked at the price tag on the commercial units. The prices
are grossly out of line with what they actually contain.
   If you don't care about the light and just want something that works, then a
big enough bridge rectifier, 30 amps for example, with the DC terminals
connected together will work fine and cost a lot less than something that says
"marine" on it. The voltage rating of the rectifier does not matter, just the
current rating. It will provide about 1.2 volts of isolation from the mains
ground.

Steve Thomas
Port Stanley, ON