Steve,

I just replaced the propane system on my 36 and also installed the Dickson 9000
 on the forward bulkhead and we love it.   We sail off of Halifax so it's often
damp and foggy.  The heater does a great job of keeping us dry and takes the
chill off too.  It really made the boat more comfortable.

The PO had installed a propane locker in the rear port side of the helm seat,
however much to my horror the locker was vented into the bilge and was
connected with Tee's and hose clamps.  (I rerouted it for its own vent) As per
Fred's comments you will need a regulator etc.

I went to a local hose company (hose fittings Canada)in Halifax and they made a
custom 40 foot hose with proper brass fittings, a T assembly, 15 foot hose(for
the galley stove), solenoid and regulator.

It ended up being quite an easy installation although it was a bit of a pain
fishing the hose throughout the boat.  I chose to run it along the starboard
side of the boat. I chose this as it is easier to access for inspection and
also didn't want a propane hose running through the bilge.

I would suggest that you don't screw around with the hoses/fittings and ensure
they are properly made.

Propane on a boat can be deadly if not properly respected.    I also have 2
sniffers in the boat, one near each appliance.  This system I hard wired
directly to my battery switch.   I figured if the power is on they should be
working as well.

As for the 1 lb propane.  I found an adaptor that I keep aboard in case my main
cylinder runs dry and I can connect a 1 lb cylinder for short term use.   Keep
in mind every time you attach or remove a 1 lb cylinder a little gas escapes
which would end up collecting inside the boat over time.   I wouldn't want to
be near by when that little bit of propane reached the level needed to ignite.

The heater was well worth the investment.   Feel free to email me off list if
you want to discuss further.

Adam
State of Bliss
C&C 36