I used butyl tape on my teak hand rails about 6 years ago.  Once the
handrails were off I cleaned them well and applied 5 coats of cetol all
around before reinstalling.  I found it necessary to cut holes through the
butyl tape with a punch for all of the fasteners because if I didn't do
that the butyl tape adhered to the stainless steel fasteners often twisting
up into a lump around the fasteners and pulling the butyl out of place.  I
used 1/8 inch thick butyl tape and as Jake moted previously I trimmed the
excess that squeezed out of the gap between the handrail base and the deck
with a sharp blade.  I have had zero leaks and the cetol coating on the
handrail only now needs a bit of touch up but only on the easy to work on
top surfaces...a couple of touch up coats of cetol should be quite easy to
do before launch next spring. I highly recommend butyl tape for this
application have done it twice previous with tube sealants I can say the
buyl tape is easier to work with and lasts longer...handrail installation
is a 2 person job

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS