From: "Joel Aronson via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Joel Aronson" <joel.aron...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Lewmar Ocean Hatch Seals
Date: Mon, Nov 16, 2015 12:13 PM

Rick,

I seem to recall that they changed the shape of the seal at some point in
time.  If they sent you a newer seal I don't know if it will work on the
older hatch.

Sounds like you need to lube the seal and pull it around the corners - a
real PIA!

Joel

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Sorry Rick, you're right I do have Lewmar hatches however, this is not
> something which I've been forced to overcome.  Let us know how it turns out.
>
> Josh Muckley
> S/V Sea Hawk
> 1989 C&C 37+
> Solomons, MD
> On Nov 15, 2015 7:25 PM, "Rick Brass via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I spent 3 ½ trying hours today attempting to replace the hatch seal on
>> the Lewmar Ocean 60 foredeck hatch on Kathy Sisk’s 29-2. She bought the
>> Lewmar hatch seal kits for both the 60 series foredeck hatch and the 20
>> series on the cabin top. We started with the foredeck hatch because that
>> one has been leaking.
>>

>> The Lewmar instructions indicate you should insert the little flap on the
>> inside edge of the seal into the slot between the hatch frame and the lens,
>> and then stretch the seal so the lip on the outside edge of the seal
>> engages around the outside edge of the hatch frame. Easy enough to do on
>> the straight sides of the frame, but virtually impossible to do on the
>> corners. I finally gave up - with only 1 corner engaged - before I either
>> ruined the seal or went completely postal on Kathy for getting me involved
>> in this project. There must be either a secret or a special tool needed to
>> simplify the job.
>>

>> I’ve been looking online, and one source for seals tells you that you
>> must remove the lens to replace the seal if you use the Lewmar seals.
>>

>> HELP! There are enough of you on the list that have Lewmar Ocean Hatches
>> or 29-2s. Somebody must know the secret of replacing these hatch seals.
>>

>> Please, guys, what is it?
>>

>> Rick Brass
>>
>> *Imzadi  *C&C 38 mk 2
>>
>> *la Belle Aurore *C&C 25 mk1