successful.  I have terminated my project at this point as the temperatures
are now too low for the VHB tape which requires a temperature of greater
than 60 degrees F for application.  Here are my observations:

#1.  Plexus is evil stuff and should not be allowed on a boat.  It is too
hard and tenacious a bond.  Because fiberglass and acrylic have such a
different expansion coefficient, fracture of the acrylic is assured.
Removing the stuff is impossible without destroying the gel coat
underneath.  I tried a sharp blade between the fiberglass and the acrylic
and all I managed to do was rip up the gel coat.

#2.  Before removing the windows, make a template out of some thin plywood
(or other material) because the window will (no doubt) come out in pieces
and you will have nothing as a reference for making the new windows.

#3.  I finally was successful removing the acrylic with a 5/8” router bit
set to a depth equal to the thickness of the acrylic plus the thickness of
the Plexus.  I actually used a Roto-Zip instead of a router as it had a
smaller footprint and was easier to handle.  I free-handed the router to
cut through the acrylic and into the Plexus.  It’s risky but effective.
Don’t cut all the way around the perimeter, but leave tabs to support the
window.  Otherwise, the window will sink under the weight of the router and
you will cut into the gel coat.  You can break out the tabs later.

#4.  Once the windows were out, I used West System epoxy thickened with low
density filler to repair any damage to the gel coat.  Fortunately, all my
gel coat damage was limited to the area under the windows.  Once the
windows are out and the damage is repaired, the rest is fun and easy.

#5.   I cut the new window out of 3/8” Plexiglas using a pattern router bit
(sometimes called a Formica trimmer).  I used masking tape folded in half
lengthwise to stick the new Plexiglas to the old window (or template).  I
ran the tape at right angles to insure that they wouldn’t slide in either
direction with respect to each other.  It does a very nice job and is quite
easy.  I then used a 1/8” round off router bit on the outside edge of the
new window for cosmetic reasons and a 45 degree chamfer bit on the inside
edge to make room for the Dow Corning 795 silicone.

#6.  I installed the 3M VHB 4991 tape on the coach roof and masked around
where I wanted the window to go.  This would help me locate the window and
provide the masking for the Dow Corning 795 silicone to follow.  I also
masked the edge of the new window for the same reason.

#7.  Now cones the tricky part.  You only get one shot with the VHB tape,
because once it is down, it is not coming up.  I tried adhering two small
pieces of acrylic to each other with about two square inches of VHB tape,
and I can assure you, you won’t pull them apart.  VHB is amazing stuff.  As
a guide, I mounted two small wooden blocks to the masking take below the
window with a small piece of VHB tape.  By attaching it to the masking
tape, I was sure I could get it back off.  Actually, VHB doesn’t stick very
well to masking tape anyway.  I also stuck a small wooden block to the
masking tape at one end of the window as well.  This allowed me to set the
window on the two bottom block and then slide it over to the end block
before pushing the window into place.  By all means, make several trial
runs with the film still on the VHB tape before removing the film.  Once
the film is off you are committed.  I pushed the window in place and it
looked perfect.  Then it is simply a matter of squirting the Dow Corning
stuff into the gap and smoothing it out with a finger.  As soon as the
silicon is smoothed out, you can remove the masking tape and pour yourself
a stiff one, while you admire the fine job you have done.

#8.  There was concern expressed that the VHB tape would be visible through
the window, and it was suggested that the window should be painted with
Krylon Fusion Black.  Actually, the VHB tape is the same color as the
Plexus which is not visible, so the VHB won’t be visible either.  No paint
is necessary.  I used the darker shade of grey Plexiglas and can say that
it look spectacular.  The darker shade really “pops” and the contrast is
particularly attractive (in my humble opinion).  The darker color makes it
difficult to see into the boat, but has a minimal effect when looking out.
The VHB is not visible at all.

#9.  There was also concern expressed concerning whether the curvature of
the coach roof would cause a flexing force to peel the VHB tape.  I can say
that the radius of curvature is very large (>20 feet) and the forces are
thus very small.  3/8” acrylic over those lengths is quite flexible.  I see
no problem at all.

#9.  I have posted some pictures on Google Drive and I think you can view
them at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwQRSP2fYIFmemxYOGlVcHNUNVk&usp=sharing

I am new to posting pictures, so if you have trouble seeing them, email me
and we can get it fixed.  I will add more pictures as they become available.

#10.  Needless to say, I am thrilled with the outcome so far.  I have also
re-glazed the hatches using the Boatworks video and they came out
spectacular as well.  The only difference I made from their recommendations
is that I bedded the acrylic in butyl tape instead of the Dow Corning 795
because it was much easier to get a uniform bead and that was the way it
was done from the factory.  I still filled the gap around the windows with
the Dow Corning 795.  Boatworks is right, the Dow Corning 795 is nice stuff.

#11.  If I have left anything out or you have any questions about this
post, just give me a shout.

Gary

S/V High Maintenance

’90 C&C 37 Plus