The angle grinder is a machete, the fein tool is a scalpel.     That said,
it is amazing how "fine" you can be with an angle grinder.   The angle
grinder can run big stiff twisted-brush scratch wheels and 30 grit abrasive
disks at high speed, it can remove steel fast, and with cut off wheels (zip
discs) can cut 1/4" steel with ease.  It can grind through fiberglass and
bevel edges for repairs very quickly but with good control.  With
fiberglass it makes a helluva mess because it can remove so much material
so quickly, and it launches the dust at high speeds.  (wear a mask and
goggles.)   The angle grinder is  not at suited to finishing work.  Too
aggressive.  (that's for the random orbital sander)

The fein tool is for relatively fine work.   it can cut soft metals but
does so slowly.  It is great for fiberglass, but slow.  it makes a very
thin kerf, so little dust, and because it is not rotating, the small amount
of dust does notmake a huge mess.   it fits wehre a jigsaw can't and other
than cutting cuves it is incredibly controllable.  It makes it really easy
to cut out sections of glass for installing instruments or whatever,
provided the lines are straight.   The width of the circular blade makes it
track straight as well, so you can make precise straight cuts in awkward
confined spaces.  It can reach and trim where other tools can't.    Once
you have one you will find you keep finding uses for
it.  (cutting drywall/sheetrock as an example)  The forgoing is just for
cutting - the fein tool can also finish sand small areas in awkward spots,
and probably make martinis  with the right attachments.  (The angle grinder
would be a WMD - shred the olives spray gin everywhere.)

Dave

Message: 7