Marek

Nut Case our J27 also came with Lazy Jacks.  The very first thing I did was cut
them off the mast before ever launching the boat for the first time.  I do not
like the look of them nor how they mess up the sail cover.

Persistence our Frers 33 was in the water when we purchased it.  We used the
Lazy Jacks the entire summer.  They often caught the batten pocket ends when
hoisting the sail, were annoying when taking the main halyard forward to
headboard of sail from its normal spot on end of boom (had to ensure not
outside of any lazy jacks) and were simply in the way when the sail was
hoisted.  Worst of all they seemed to offer zero benefit when dropping the
main.  It spilled off the boom anyway.  So this past Spring I removed them
prior to stepping the mast.  This time however I did not cut them off as they
were attached with shackles so I can reuse if desired.

Persistence is our Winnebago.  It is however a Winnebago that is very easy to
sail to its potential (moreso than the J27, etc …).  We tend to race the boat
in the Spring and the Fall and race on the C&C 115 Koobalibra during the
regular season.  We also like to take advantage of the creature comforts of our
sailing Winnebago when not racing.

Persistence Quantum main is I believe Carbon/Vectran with taffeta on both
sides.  It has a very nice sail shape but is super stiff and awful to flake.
It really did not work well with the lazy jacks.  Our older UK Tape Drive
Kevlar main is likely 10-12 years old.  It has decent shape but is starting to
show the brittleness of an older Kevlar sail.  However it flakes quite easily.
I suspect it would work better with lazy jacks than the Quantum main.  Moreso
if we actually had them tensioned properly and learned how to use them.

During the past summer we had the boat in the Bras D’ors Lakes in Cape Breton,
NS.  We spent one week racing the boat in Baddeck Reggata Week (6 day event)
against many boats that included C&C 33-2 and another Frers 33.  For this we
had the new (2013) quantum main.  For the 180 mile deliveries and while
cruising in the Lakes we used the UK Tape Drive main and our 100% roller furler
Quantum Pentex genoa (also taffeta both sides) and had our dodger and bimini in
place.  With the dodger up flaking the main was even more of a chore than
normal since it is the way big time.  For this reason when delivering or
goofing around we usually did not bother with the main (seems silly).  In the
Bras Dors Lakes it is quite deep but the channels into some anchorages can be
shallow and narrow.  Not a good time to have one of two total crew fooling
around trying to lash a mainsail.

Following Regatta week we did a Wednesday race of the frers 33 Equinox which
still had its Stack Pack main on from its delivery back from Cape Breton.  I
was impressed with how little the ugly zippers and canvas on the sail actually
affected its performance and with how easy it was to deploy and stow.  For
these reasons I have tried to think how I could use the lazy jacks for cruising
and quickly and easily move them to the mast when racing.  The issue then being
to keep them out of the way of the other control lines …

Hope this explains it.

Mike
Persistence
Ferrs 33 built by Winnebago