That's the second call.!

At 04:50 PM 12/12/2015, you wrote:
I thought everybody called it the upf**ker.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC

On 11 December 2015 at 22:16, Russ & Melody via CnC-List <<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
Hi Chuck,

Maybe I should have used <VBG> in the response. Email message can be difficult to express subtleties, but I probably should have warned you about clarifying sailing terms here. My approval rating has been about 50/50 so far. <VBG>

The topping lift was never just for the main boom. It was in general use for any spar lift at the lower portion of a sail, main, stays'l or spinnaker. Club footed jib excepted of course and upper spars having other cute names, such as peak halyard.

Anyhow, these days it seems we're all correct. Most of us foredeck guys from the 70s & 80s would know the smallest wire & snap shackle is the top'n' lift, or later on to become the "pole lift".

And as you say, when a foredeck mate yells at the pit for uphaul, he really wants the inboard end of the spinnaker pole raised. It is remarkable how long it can take for this simple request to be acknowledged sometimes. :)

But don't be too hard on newbies. If their source of info is the Internet they get advice from Wiki such as this:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the spar. For floating barriers to control access to harbours and rivers, see <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_%28navigational_barrier%29>boom (navigational barrier). For other uses, see <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_%28disambiguation%29>Boom .  In <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing>sailing, a boom is a <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar_%28sailing%29>spar (pole), along the <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_of_a_sail#The_edges>foot (bottom edge) of a <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore_and_aft>fore and aft rigged <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail>sail ,<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_%28sailing%29#cite_note-1> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_%28sailing%29#cite_note-1>[1] that...          (good so far, but..)

The topping lift (more rarely known as an uphaul) is a <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_%28sailing%29>line which applies upward force on a <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_%28sailing%29>boom on a <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailboat>sailboat.

A topping lift may also refer to a line on the front of the mast used to rig the spinnaker pole. It is used to trim the pole to the proper height when hoisting the <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinnaker>spinnaker.

Hoo boy. Where do we go from here?

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1