From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Bill
Hoyne via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 9:21 AM
To: Gaynor Hoyne; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Bill Hoyne
Subject: Stus-List : off topic Skiing

The winter season is upon us up here in the north. Trying to get a headstart
on the ski season a friend and I decided to do a ski mountaineering trip to
Ecuador. For all you skiers out there, here is a bit of a trip description

Our goal was to get as high as we could and ski some volcanoes. Getting high
on volcanoes usually means a severe headache and serious shortness of breath
:-) sorry no hallucinations!  After a week of acclimatization hikes to
17,000' we did our first ski ascent. We drove to the refugio and hiked our
skiis to the base of the glacier at 17,000' and promptly got headaches and a
bad sleep so we went to town to recover. The next day we went back and with
a 3AM start we hiked up to our skiis and boot packed our shit to the summit
at 19,000'. We skied off the summit avoiding some seracs and crevasses. We
had to jump a few crevasses - that was fun!!. The snow was rather thin, 1"
of crusty snow over isothermal ice, made for some nice corn skiing. The
nearby volcano Cotopaxi was erupting and spewing a fine ash all over the
snow. It was interesting skiing black snow (not good for the bases however).

 A couple of spa days later we headed up Volcan Antisana - another 18,700'.
We had similar snow conditions but much more severe route finding issues. We
negotiated some very big seracs and crevasses. Getting up and down required
and lot of vertical snow and ice climbing. We spent a few hours route
finding on the way dow trying to avoid the worst of the seracs and finding
the best way to ski. We jumped and toured around some big ass crevasses, but
made it back to safety by early afternoon, it was only a 12 hour day.

Ecuador is a beautiful country. Defiantly worth exploring, however climate
change has done a number on the snow conditions on the volcanoes, very warm
dry weather has melted the glaciers and opened the crevasses. Worth climbing
maybe not hauling skiis up to ski.

I am back home now and the cross country skiing is awesome. We went up to
Bow Summit in the Rockies and skied boot deep powder. It's amazing how much
oxygen there is at this elevation!! Life is good!

Now, should I do a little sailing in January :-)

Happy Holidays to all you C&C listers!!

Bill

Bill Hoyne

Mithrandir