A loud hailer is not uncommon on larger power boats in our area.
It's really annoying when the skipper uses the blasted thing from the comfort of the wheelhouse to communicate with the foredeck person, instructing the "anchor drop" or some such mooring adventure.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1
        B.C. South Coast