It looks like your auto-correct changed rudder stock to stalk (like celery).

<insert trivia>
In Europe it is oft times used as one word, rudderstock.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1

At 11:16 AM 22/01/2016, you wrote:

So based on your description if you were to remove the tiller handle where the single bolt holds it to the rudder stalk, then you would be able to move the stalk side to side? What about fore and aft?

Based on my current understanding, it sounds like the bushings at the deck or hull or both are worn. Many C&Cs simply used Acetyl (Nylon) tubes for the stalk to pass through. Many of us have installed grease (zirc) fittings to facilitate easier maintenance. A machine shop can easily fabricate new bushings from stock you provide. Removing the old ones may prove difficult. Also when the boat is out of the water, you want to drop the rudder to make sure that the shaft isn't eroded/corroded. While you're at it make sure the shaft/stalk isn't rotating in the rudder.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD