Hi, Steve — see answers/comments below:

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 8:48 AM, Stevan Plavsa via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Kind of a piggyback to Bob's thread. I had never really considered the CPN
> 700i prior to checking it out today. I'm waiting on pricing from a local
> chandlery on a list of Raymarine stuff I'll need to buy in order to get an
> ES75 working on my boat with my autopilot.
>
> Maybe some of you can chime in on my decision here, Fred especially being the
> expert and the local guys are really making me wait which is making me shy
> away from giving them my money.
>
> I want an ES series Raymarine plotter.
> I have ST40 depth, ST40 speed each with their own thru-hull. The dept ducer
> is a "thru the hull" type.
> I have an autohelm ST4000 - with the LCD display
>
> If going the raymarine route I'de like it to all work together and I'm told I
> need a bunch of accessories to make that happen. That's the list and pricing
> I'm waiting for now.

The eS is an excellent plotter; if I were to buy today, that’s the one I’d get.
 All you’d need to get that working with your SeaTalk1 instruments and pilot
would be a SeaTalkNG to SeaTalk1 converter kit; then your instrument data would
show up on the eS, and you could control your pilot through the eS as well.
It’s a pretty easy install.

> My question to you folks is:
> should I just get the CPN700i because it's about half the price of the
> Raymarine and a smart transducer to replace my existing speed with
> speed/depth in one and get rid of the old thing taking up space in my locker
> (depth ducer in mineral oil).
>
> I'de get rid of the ST40 stuff, ebay. Not sure if the CPN700i can control the
> autopilot but that's not a huge priority. It'd be nice but at this point this
> season is getting pretty expensive what with the diesel heater and new
> lifelines to boot.

Why get a discontinued plotter (other than cost savings)?  I think it would end
up costing you more in the long run, especially when you consider abandoning
your existing instruments.  And you lose the ability to have the instrument
displays independent of the MFD.

> The CPN700i is $800 CAD and comes with cmap charts (any good? never had a
> plotter, don't know)
> The Raymarine ES75 is like $1600 CAD and I would need a bunch of raymarine
> gizmos to make it work with my depth/speed

Contact me off-list and let me price the eS75 for you; you’re eligible for a
rebate through April, and I just happen to have a chart chip for US/Canada that
would work for you, as well.

> Which smart transducer will work best with the SH? Fred, you mentioned Furuno
> DT800 in Bob's thread. Airmar makes a DT800 that's NMEA 2000, will that work
> and be less proprietary?

All the transducers for all the manufacturers are made by Airmar; so the only
“proprietary” thing about them is the connector.  The Furuno comes with the
proper connector for an NMEA2000 network (which you’d need for a S-H plotter).
Also, if you’re putting in a smart transducer to replace your ST40s, you’d want
the DST-800, which has depth, speed and temp.  You’ll also need to buy the rest
of the NMEA2000 network to connect the transducer to the plotter.

> Seems to me that buying a plotter and a smart transducer is the easiest and
> most cost effective solution. My concern is that the CPN is like 4 years old
> now and the Raymarine is brand new.

I would disagree with the first sentence, and agree with the second.   :^)

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis