The correct approach in my opinion. I always figured that the whole point to
having straight pipe threads in the first place was so that you could make
something like a compression flange fitting in one part and then cut a regular
tapered thread on the end.
Makes a lot of sense for tanks, and a boat is kind of like an inside out tank.

Steve Thomas
C&C36
Merritt Island, FL

---- Russ & Melody via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

In a re-fit many years ago I looked for replacement thru-hulls.

After not having success finding a replacement I
got a NPT cutter head for a 'Rigid' pipe
threading machine, from the local rental shop.
You can adjust the "bite" of the cutter so I
started off loose and cut some taper threads by
hand. With the replacement ball valve nearby I
kept at it until there was the desired fit. After
the first one the rest were easy.

So, now my C&C original thru-hulls, which were in good shape, are taper thread.

         Cheers, Russ
         Sweet 35 mk-1
         Vancouver Island