Danny;

How long will your boat be left on the mooring between uses?

I have a house bank of (4) group 27 deep cycles (460AH when they were new in
2011, probably less now), and a 95AH deep cycle battery for a start bank. I
almost always leave the switch so the house bank is powering the bilge pump,
and usually forget to switch to the start battery to start the engine…. and
frequently forget to switch to “ALL” when the engine is running and charge the
start battery. I rarely plug into shore power, so the only charging is from the
engine during the 30 minutes or so it takes to get sails up and to get out of
the channel. For the most part the boat gets used on an average of once every
two weeks – though it may go for two months or more in spring and fall, and
when I’m busy with other commitments in the summer.

And the boat has never failed to start.

Thinking back to recent use, I ran the engine for a couple of hours in
mid-September when returning from a charity regatta. Then the boat sat until a
day sail in mid-October, when it got about an hour of run time. The day after
Thanksgiving I ran the engine for about 10 minutes when I moved the boat to a
different slip for the Christmas display. Then about 10 minutes on the day
after New Years to get it back to the regular slip. I took a friend and his son
out for a day sail on February 17th (55 degrees F feels like winter to me. My
friend and his son were in shorts and flip flops. 55 degrees must feel like
early summer to folks from New Hampshire.) and the batteries were showing 12.6v
when I went to the boat that day.

You may be overly worried about the need to maintain the batteries, unless you
are letting the boat sit for months at a time or you are powering your bilge
pump from the start bank.

And if maintaining the batteries is your only reason for the generator, you
might think about getting one of those battery chargers with a boost feature
for jump starting the engine. It would be a lot cheaper and a lot more portable
than the generator.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC