Danny,

If I were you I would certainly install solar. With your use you don’t need
huge solar panel to top up your batteries.

You should be ok with as little as 25-30 W of power (which would give you
around 1 -1.5 A charging in normal circumstances).

The rollable solar panels don’t require any special installation; you can put
them over your bimini the doger or even over the coachhouse. The cost would be
around $300 plus another $150 for a decent charge controller. Btw. if you go
this route, don’t skimp on the charge controller - it will make substantial
difference.

We don’t have shore power in our Club and when I got this boat over 3 years a
go I installed the solar system. I have only 2 batteries there, but my 21 W
panel and a Morningstar controller keep the batteries in perfect shape. The
total cost of the system was under $500.

Or you can buy a rigid panel (they are more efficient and usually cheaper) and
mount it permanently. But this requires some extra project work.

The problem with our use (yours as much as mine) is that in the half hour or so
we use the motor the batteries could never be topped up properly. It would take
hours of running the motor to charge them to a real 100% SoC. The best what we
could count on is about 80% (bulk charge); in order to bring them up higher you
need a long period of low charge. The solar is perfect for that.

If your batteries are standard flooded cells, not keeping them up to 100% is
less harmful than with any gel cells or AGMs. But still batteries last longer
if you keep them well charged most of the time.

Btw. a generator would not help you that much. You would need to run it for
hours in order to keep the batteries fully charged.

Marek

1994 C270, “Legato”

Ottawa, ON