Years ago lignum vitae used to be the standard material for ships' bearings. It's a very dense (heavier than water), oily wood so it provides its own lubrication. It hasn't been used on ships in the last 50+ yrs. They stopped using lignum vitae because as ships got bigger and faster, the shafts got larger and heavier, and the wood wasn't precise enough to keep the shaft in position.

Using it on our boats might work, but I could see it being difficult to install. They used to use individual staves that were slid lengthwise into grooves in the bronze or steel housing. Not sure how that would work in our struts which are made so you can press in (or out, as some of us are dealing with) the bronze outer sleeve. Are they proposing just a sleeve made of wood?

Neil Gallagher
Weatherly, 35-1
Glen Cove, NY