Hi Brian,

This pitting is not unusual for stainless steel that has spent time in a low oxygen environment. The water in there is stagnate, oxygen depletes, a galvanic cell develops and viola. The process is the pits, so to speak.

The remedy is pretty much as you did, clean up the shaft best as possible. To my eye that amount of pitting is not going to affect reliability.

To avoid future pitting don't leave the shaft in one position during long periods of immersion. Run the engine a little while in gear or at least turn the shaft by hand a bit during your regular checks when you're not using the boat.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1