A local community sailing organization has been given an old Crusader. She has
been a project boat for 10-12 years and a couple of owners so she's in pieces
right now. I'm working on putting her back together. My immediate issues are
the keel and board. I want to check and tighten the bolts. Someone has coveredĀ
each keel bolt with putty and then several layers of fiberglass cloth. They did
the same or the centerboard pin. This has kept the stainless dry and when I
chipped away the putty the bolts look new. The boat is currently on the hard.
When we hauled her there was a gap around the hull keel joint. When she was
blocked up and the load put on the keel the gap did close some. I intend to
clean out the gap and use G Flex to fill with a layer of tape on the outside to
fair. Question 1. Does anyone know how many keel bolts there are in this boat?
I have found 9 but there looks like a couple more mounds at the end of the keel
but I don't know if they are bolts. Secondly, the centerboard is out of the
boat because the hole that the pivot pin goes through rusted away and the board
left the boat. The board I have appears to be 1/4" steel plate wrapped with
glass. The pivot 'ear' is completely gone. Question 2. Does anyone know where I
can find a drawing with dimensions of the board? I have a local machine ready
to cut a new one but need to have those dimensions. Thanks!