Have used several different epoxy systems over the years and have found
that prep can vary a bit.  Cured epoxy leaves a film on its surface
referred to as "amine blush" that needs to be removed.  It is water
soluble.  I have found that some types wipe off with a wet rag, some must
be washed more aggressively,  (cure temp affects this too I think)  Wipe
with acetone after that if you wish.  I scuff sand after as well.  FYI - I
recently tried a "blushless" resin, which was not. Maybe they meant
blush-less?  Dunno.

For outdoor applications, epoxy MUST  be varnished or painted as it has no
inherent UV resistance.  For sun-baked, non-structural things like
handrails, I would not bother with epoxy, its easier to stick (so to speak)
to one system, and you will be varnishing anyway.

FWIW Doing my cabin sole as well, and repaired/epoxied the board around the
mast step (some carpentry involved, and rot and damage repair but the rest
is in good shape and has resisted whatever water it has encountered since
'85.  Urethane varnish only.

Epoxy seems really benign but it isn't, so be careful.  You can become
sensitized with cumulative exposure (as my Dad has been) and I recently
developed a really nasty rash after doing some work.  Possibly the price of
carelessness over time.

Dave

Message: 3