Dennis,

Timely input. Can I hire you as a consultant? :-)

I’ll be doing planning for a clean-sheet restructuring of the cabin top winches
and lines very soon so that I can move on to painting the decks. I have
pondered various layouts and am always somewhat dissatisfied. I’d actually like
to reduce the number of lines led aft. Go figure...

Cheers,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay
Ronin’s Overdue Refit <http://roninrebuild.blogspot.com/>
> On Mar 24, 2016, at 11:27 AM, Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> I just did a cabin top re-configuration a couple weeks ago.  All the hardware
> was removed and re-installed.  Gave me a clean slate to work with.
>
> Some subtle but important considerations for locating rope clutches.
>
> Give a lot of thought to locating the rope clutches with regard to the
> winches.  You don't want a lot of angle on the lines particularly if they are
> high load lines like spin and jib halyards.
>
> That is, if you are placing a triple clutch, line the center clutch with the
> STARBOARD side of the winch.  Don't center the clutch on the winch.  The
> lines wrap around the starboard side.  Subtle but important tip.
>
> Now, consider if two of the three lines are high load and one is not, say a
> pole topping, then locate the high load lines in the two starboard clutches
> for better leads to the winch.
>
> To lessen the lead angle from clutch to winch, move the clutch forward away
> from the winch.  But...make sure it's not so far forward that the crew can't
> reach it easily.
>
> Make sure the handle swing is unobstructed.  That is, if there's a cabin top
> traveler, don't locate the clutch so close to it that it won't fully open or
> that the location creates a trap for fingers or hands against the traveler.
>
> Dennis C.

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!