Not directly C&C but prior to my 27-5 I owned a Kirby designed DS-22. The
transom was cored, rotted and during the replacement process I determined the
reason to be from stainless screws which had gone through the aluminum cap rail
down through the core. After 25 or so years the seal had failed on the screws
and allowed water to run down and get trapped in the core. Next came carpenter
ants!  I replaced the core from the inside with marine plywood and learned a
lot about boat construction and fibreglass repair.
This same boat had some vertical gelcoat cracks at the stress points of the
hull near the bulkhead. If this had been a cored hull I wonder if those cracks
would have gone deep enough to cause wet core.

Brent Driedger
27-5
Lake Winnipeg.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 25, 2016, at 8:53 PM, Joe Della Barba via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> I know someone that had to do some core repairs on a C&C 40. The boat had sat
> on the hard for years with water in the bilge and the freeze-thaw cycles had
> cracked the hull from the inside.
>
> He said it wasn’t a lot of money, just a lot of PITA work under the boat
> grinding and laminating. Now if you had to pay someone by the hour……OUCH!

greatly appreciated!