Joel — I’m with Dave — Starboard will sag under the weight of batteries.  See
if somebody at one of the marinas or boatyards around you has a partial sheet
of 19mm marine ply, cut it to fit and either paint or epoxy-coat it.  I think
you’ll be much happier with the results.  And it’ll weigh a whole lot less, too.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 12:10 PM, Dave Godwin via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Interestingly I was doing inventory in my shed yesterday and ‘found’ a 2’ X
> 3’ sheet of 1/2” Starboard that I bought for some projects years ago.
> Personally, I would not use Starboard for battery support. Too soft and
> bendy. And even I would balk at the price.
>
> I just used regular good quality plywood painted white when I redid
> <http://roninrebuild.blogspot.com/2014/02/starting-battery-locker-redesign.html>
>  the battery support inside the cabin. The factory plywood base for the two
> house batteries in the starboard cockpit locker is 34-years old and holding
> up just fine.
>
> I use those cheap black plastic battery boxes to contain anything that might
> leak out.
>
> Best,
> Dave Godwin
> 1982 C&C 37 - Ronin